Iron is a vital mineral that your body requires to produce red blood cells (RBCs).
Deficiency of this mineral can lead to symptoms such as unusual weakness, shortness of breath, low vitality, decreased physical performance, learning issues and increased susceptibility to infections.
This is the reason why, doctors prescribe patients to consume iron supplements and food items loaded with maximum iron.
But these supplements are slight costly and keeping this point in view, lots of companies have started to offer discount supplements to make them available to every person.
In other words, Iron deficiency can disturb the production of normal red blood cells that are required to maintain good health. Iron deficiency anemia (IDA) is a condition in which the body cannot produce enough RBCs.
People with IDA often require iron supplements to correct their normal production of RBCs.
Iron Supplements is specifically prescribed in certain health conditions. Few of them are mentioned below:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Surgical removal of stomach
- Bleeding issues
- Stomach issues
These days, supplements are made with mild consistency, which are easy to consume and digest.
Still, there are certain things that one must keep in mind, before start consuming them, so follow few of these important tips mentioned below:
- Antacids, milk and calcium supplements should not be taken along with the supplement. Keep a gap of at least two hours between the doses.
- The assimilation of this element is best on an empty stomach. However, you need to take it with food to avoid nausea, upset stomach and diarrhea.
- Inform your doctor about undergoing treatment with OTC or prescription medicines.
- Doctors often suggest people to take vitamin C, because it helps absorb iron in the body.
- Do not consume certain foodstuffs along with the supplement, such as high-fibre foods, coffee or caffeinated drinks.
Here is a small suggestion, do read this post to get through more related information on these supplements.
Common side effects of iron supplements are diarrhoea and constipation. Some people may have tarry-looking stools with abdominal cramps. If you experience any unwanted symptoms after dosage, immediately consult your doctor.